2022-2023 Season Auditions (Fall 2022 to Spring 2023) (strings/woodwinds/brass)
Our 2022-23 season auditions are now open for registration! These auditions are for entrance into the orchestra in the fall of 2022, with membership ending in June 2023.
We have resumed in-person rehearsals with safety measures in place, including air purifiers, masks and ventilation measures.
All auditions will continue to be completed via video file submission format.
Audition Rounds and Deadlines
We audition all strings and winds (woodwind and brass) typically found in a full orchestra. If you play saxophone, piano or percussion/timpani, please register separately here to be notified of potential openings. All other instruments should use the button below.
Fall 2022 Audition Deadlines: (Please note that the timing of results are estimates. We do not hold seats open for later rounds.)
· April 30 submission deadline, results in mid-May.
· May 22 submission deadline, results in mid-June.
· June 19 submission deadline, results in late-June.
- Please note that the required excerpts will be updated in early March 2022. (This has been done as of 3/13).
- Make sure you download and read the instructions for video submission here.
- Remember to read our FAQ, as well as this entire page, before registering.
- Learn more about our various orchestras/levels through our videos on this website
- Specific audition requirements for each orchestra are located on this page (scroll down).
Questions? Contact us here.
String Explorers: All Instruments (Strings)
Junior Strings: All Instruments (Strings)
Concert Strings: Viola. Inquire for other string instruments.
Philharmonic: Selected Winds, Limited Strings Openings. (Please inquire)
Symphony: Selected Strings and Winds. (Please inquire)
Chamber Program: Violins and Violas. Limited Cello/Bass openings. Scroll down to Chamber section below for details and separate registration.
Most applicants will follow a similar audition process of scales, etude, excerpt and sight-reading. Winds are an exception, see bottom of this page. If you do not make your desired group, we will consider you for another orchestra; however, we may require an additional audition. Space is limited and we highly recommend that you look at the required excerpts closely to determine your best potential fit.
All of our ensembles (with the exception of the Chamber Group) rehearse on Sunday afternoons (late August to May) at: 420 Maplelawn Drive Plano, TX 75075
The rehearsal times for each group are as below:
String Explorers (SE) (Strings Only): 5:00-6:30PM
Junior Strings (JS) (Strings Only): 2:00-3:30PM
Concert Strings (CS) (Strings Only): 1:30-3:15PM
Philharmonic Orchestra (PO) (Strings and Winds): 3:30- 5:30PM
Symphony Orchestra (SO) (Strings and Winds): 6:00-8:30PM
As a reminder, applicants should be in their school orchestra or band programs unless they are unavailable.
Our Chamber Group rehearses on Saturday afternoons from 1-2:30PM @ the same location above. Chamber Group Auditions will be held separately, with open rehearsals held during the beginning of the season for interested applicants.
To register for more information, go HERE.
Audition Preparation (All Groups Except for Chamber) – All 2021 spring/summer auditions will be video submissions
1. Prepare all requirements for Junior Strings (including Etude and Excerpt) as noted above, as well as the below:
2. CS Excerpt: (measures 1-30 for all instruments) Violin 1 | Violin 2 | Viola | Cello | Bass (Violins can pick either excerpt depending on what section they wish to join. Harps – please still use JS etude as above).
3. Concert String Scales – (Replace Junior String Scales)
Violin – Bb Major, D Major *3 Octaves preferred.
Viola – F Major, D Major *3 Octaves preferred.
Cello – F Major, D Major *3 Octaves preferred.
Bass – G Major, F Major
Violin: A Major & Eb Major *3 Octaves required
Viola: Eb Major & G Major *3 Octaves required
Cello: Eb Major & G Major *3 Octaves required
Bass: Bb Major & D Major *2 Octaves required
Winds: See below
String applicants who wish to be considered for the Symphony need to prepare all of the above Philharmonic Requirements (Etude/Excerpt/Scale) as well as the following:
Wind Applicants – Philharmonic Orchestra and Symphony Orchestra
Wind Applicants for Philharmonic and Symphony Orchestra should prepare the following:
1. Scales: Winds – Submit a scale of your choice (up to 5 sharps/5 flats (major key only)). (2 or 3 octave)
2. Solo of your choice