Auditions for Fall 2023
Auditions for entry into the orchestra in Fall 2023 are now officially open (starting 2/15/23!) You can join our mailing list here to be informed of any updates. See below for audition round times, registration form link and requirements for each group.
Audition Rounds and Deadlines
Auditions for entry in Fall 2023 include multiple rounds as below:
• Round 1: April 30 submission deadline, results late May.
• Round 2: May 22 submission deadline, results late June.
• Round 3: June 19 submission deadline, results early July.
Keep in mind it is advantageous to submit early. We audition all strings and winds (woodwind and brass) typically found in a full orchestra. (Applicants just need to select 1 round out of the 3.) If you play saxophone, piano or percussion/timpani, please register separately here to be notified of potential openings. All other instruments should use the button below.
- Make sure you download and read the instructions for video submission here.
- Remember to read our FAQ, as well as this entire page, before registering.
- Learn more about our various orchestras/levels through our videos on this website
- Specific audition requirements for each orchestra are located on this page (scroll down).
For the Chamber Program – Info and Registration here.
Questions? Contact us here.
String Explorers: All Instruments (Strings)
Junior Strings: All Instruments (Strings)
Concert Strings: Viola. Inquire for other string instruments.
Philharmonic: Selected Winds, Limited Strings Openings. (Please inquire)
Symphony: Selected Strings and Winds. (Please inquire)
Chamber Program: Violins and Violas. Limited Cello/Bass openings. Scroll down to Chamber section below for details and separate registration.
Most applicants will follow a similar audition process of scales, etude, excerpt and sight-reading. Winds are an exception, see bottom of this page. If you do not make your desired group, we will consider you for another orchestra; however, we may require an additional audition. Space is limited and we highly recommend that you look at the required excerpts closely to determine your best potential fit.
All of our ensembles (with the exception of the Chamber Group) rehearse on Sunday afternoons (late August to May) at: 420 Maplelawn Drive Plano, TX 75075
The rehearsal times for each group are as below:
String Explorers (SE) (Strings Only): 5:00-6:30PM
Junior Strings (JS) (Strings Only): 2:00-3:30PM
Concert Strings (CS) (Strings Only): 1:30-3:15PM
Philharmonic Orchestra (PO) (Strings and Winds): 3:30- 5:30PM
Symphony Orchestra (SO) (Strings and Winds): 6:00-8:30PM
As a reminder, applicants should be in their school orchestra or band programs unless they are unavailable.
We are taking applications for the DAAYO Chamber Group for the 2022-2023 season! (Deadline: 12/21/22)
Our Chamber Group rehearses on Saturday afternoons from 1-3:00PM @ the same location above. (1 hour block per each chamber ensemble) Chamber Group Auditions will be held separately. We may hold open rehearsals during the beginning of the season for interested applicants.
Audition Preparation – All auditions will be via video submissions
1. Scales: All Instruments – 1 octave C major, A major
2. Etude: Violin | Viola | Cello | Bass
3. Excerpts: Violin | Viola | Cello | Bass
1. Scales: All Instruments – 2 octaves C Major, G Major
2. Etude: Violin | Viola | Cello | Bass | Harp
3. Excerpt: Violin | Viola | Cello | Bass
1. Concert String Scales –
Violin – Bb Major, D Major *3 Octaves preferred.
Viola – F Major, D Major *3 Octaves preferred.
Cello – F Major, D Major *3 Octaves preferred.
Bass – G Major, F Major
2. CS Etude Violin | Viola | Cello | Bass | Harp
3. CS Excerpt 1 Violin | Viola | Cello | Bass
4. CS Excerpt 2 Violin | Viola | Cello | Bass
Strings Applicants for Philharmonic should prepare the following:
Philharmonic Etude: Violin | Viola | Cello | Bass | Harp
Philharmonic Excerpt: Violin | Viola | Cello | Bass
Violin: A Major & Eb Major *3 Octaves required
Viola: Eb Major & G Major *3 Octaves required
Cello: Eb Major & G Major *3 Octaves required
Bass: Bb Major & D Major *2 Octaves required
Winds: See below
String applicants who wish to be considered for the Symphony need to prepare all of the above Philharmonic Requirements (Etude/Excerpt/Scale) as well as the following:
Wind Applicants – Philharmonic Orchestra and Symphony Orchestra
Wind Applicants for Philharmonic and Symphony Orchestra should prepare the following:
1. Scales: Winds – Submit a scale of your choice (up to 5 sharps/5 flats (major key only)). (2 or 3 octave)
2. Solo of your choice